In yet another effort to crack down on motorists who drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has announced a string of DUI checkpoints, saturation patrols, and driver's license checkpoints that will be taking place tonight and throughout the weekend. Checkpoints and saturation patrols will be conducted in the following locations:
- Slauson Avenue at Buckler Avenue – Friday, July 26 from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Eagle Rock Boulevard at El Paso Drive – Friday, July 26 from 8:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Wilshire Boulevard at Comstock Avenue – Friday and Saturday July 26, 27 from 8:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Hollywood Area – Friday and Saturday July 26, 27 from 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
- Ventura Boulevard at Columbus Avenue (Sherman Oaks) – Saturday and Sunday July 27, 28 from 8:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Roscoe Boulevard at Gloria Avenue (North Hills) – Sunday and Monday July 28, 29 from 8:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Officers will be checking drivers for any signs of alcohol or drug impairment and will also be checking drivers for valid licenses. In addition, saturation patrols will be held, in which more officers will be on the road specifically to look for signs of intoxicated drivers. Throughout Los Angeles County, law enforcement agencies routinely perform DUI checkpoints and patrols. Earlier this month during the Fourth of July Weekend, the LAPD participated in a massive anti-DUI campaign that resulted in more than 490 DUI arrests.
As this statistic makes clear, DUI checkpoints have become a favored tool with which law enforcement officers use to arrest and prosecute those who drive under the influence. If convicted, an individual can face large fines, possible terms of imprisonment, probation, court ordered classes, and driver's license suspension. Those with prior DUI convictions may face heightened penalties. If you or your loved one has been arrested and charged with driving under the influence, being aware of these serious penalties should prompt you into understanding the importance of obtaining experienced legal representation. Learn more about the charges you face and how a Los Angeles DUI attorney from Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP can fight to protect your rights and future.