Drug Crime Defense Attorneys in Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles has long been recognized as the epicenter of numerous drug cartels and drug trafficking operations, and Los Angeles law enforcement is notoriously hard on drug crime cases. In fact, there are many Task Forces that have been assembled throughout the city to combat drug crimes and to conduct both state and federal investigations of suspected offenders.
If you have been arrested or are under investigation for a drug crime, you must realize that there are many resources and much effort being used to find proof that you have committed a drug crime. It is imperative that you take action immediately to protect your rights, your reputation and future from the consequences of conviction.
Schedule a free case review today to get started.
The prosecution and law enforcement will team up against those facing drug crimes charges and do everything in their power to fully prosecute the defendant. Speak with a highly trained Los Angeles drug crime attorney from our firm so that you can discover what your best course of action is. We understand the state's laws on mushrooms and other types of drugs in CA.
Types of Drug Offenses in California
Here at Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP we have handled more than 200 jury trials on the behalf of those accused of crimes throughout Los Angeles, and many of these cases involved drug charges. Our skilled Los Angeles drug crime lawyers can protect your rights and help you build a compelling defense for any of the following charges and more, so call today to schedule a free consultation and read through our helpful drug crimes FAQ.
- Cultivation: This specific crime involving growing, producing and possessing certain plants or naturally occurring elements used to produce unlawful controlled substances like marijuana plants or cannabis seeds.
- Distribution: Drug distribution refers to situations where an individual or group transfers the substances from one place to another. The penalties for this drug crime will depend on the circumstances surrounding the case.
- Drug Sales: The penalties for selling controlled substances in California can be very steep and may include years in prison and thousands of dollars in fines. If you are under investigation, immediately take action.
- Drug Manufacturing: You can be charged with a crime for playing a role in the cultivation or manufacturing of a controlled substance under state or federal law. Drug manufacturing charges can also include other drug charges.
- Medical Marijuana: The laws regarding medical marijuana are continually changing, and many people are accused of marijuana crimes because they do not fully understand their rights and recent changes to these laws.
- Possession: The possession of illegal drugs is a crime that carries a wide range of penalties based on the type and amount of drug, as well as other extenuating circumstances. Instead of accepting defeat, contact our firm.
- Illegally Prescribed Drugs: Obtaining prescription drugs through illegal methods has become one of the most prevalent drug crimes in Los Angeles over the last couple of years.
What Are the Penalties for Drug Charges?
The penalties for a drug charge will vary depending a number of factors, such as the type of drug, amount, one's previous criminal background, and any other aggravating factors.
Some of the penalties for a drug charge can include:
- Jail or prison
- Community service
- Asset forfeiture
- Drug treatment and counseling
Drug crimes can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the circumstances of your case. If your case involves trafficking across state lines, you could be facing federal drug charges and face heightened penalties.
What Are the Potential Defenses for Drug Charges?
Whether you are facing drug possession, trafficking, or another related charge, we can explore all the possible defense options for your case.
Some of the common defenses for drug charges include:
- The drugs were seized in an illegal search, and law police officers did not have probable cause to search you.
- The drugs did not belong to you.
- Law enforcement violated your rights during an arrest.
- There was law enforcement misconduct, such as drugs being planted or entrapment.
Our team at Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP can help you tailor a defense for your unique situation. We leverage our experience and extensive resources to help you investigate and defend your drug crime accusations. Schedule your free consultation today to get started on your defense.
Questions? Contact us with your questions about criminal defense for your drug charges.
In California, it is illegal to manufacture illegal drugs or controlled substances, including marijuana. The crime that an individual will be charged with in regards to manufacturing or cultivation depends on the kind of drug being made.
California Health and Safety Code 11379 makes it illegal to manufacture or in any way take part in the process of manufacturing controlled substances, including cocaine, opium, methamphetamine, or any other controlled substances. A common example would be running a methamphetamine lab. Additionally, it is a crime to be in possession of the chemicals that are used to manufacture certain drugs.
If you have been charged with Health and Safety Codes 11358, 11379, or any other drug related charge, call Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP immediately. Without a skilled and aggressive criminal defense attorney, a prosecutor can decide to charge you with the worst possible crime. We have been successful defending drug related charges on many occasions.
“We are blessed to have you for our lawyer and will highly recommend you with your professional and educated advice!”
1,000's of Cases Handled In & Out of Court
50+ Years of Combined Legal Experience
No Recovery, No Fees for All Injury Cases
Strong & Attentive Counsel Available 24/7