December has become one of the busiest travel months of the year. With countless Americans hitting the road during the holiday season, public roads and highways turn into dangerous places. Although one can argue that the roads are more crowded and weather conditions possibly more dangerous, December sees a marked increase in the number of alcohol-related crashes. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that 830 people were killed in drunk driving crashes during December 2012 alone.
To combat consistently high rates of DUI accidents, injuries, and deaths, President Obama has proclaimed the month of December as National Impaired Driving Prevention Month. With this designation, local, state, and national organizations will work together to raise awareness about the known dangers of impaired driving during a month when people often celebrate the holidays by drinking.
If you plan on celebrating the holidays with an alcoholic beverage this year, keep a few things in mind:
- Drunk driving is a negligent and easily preventable act. Still, it causes thousands of injuries and deaths each year. Do your part to not become a statistic.
- If you plan on drinking, arrange a sober ride, catch a taxi, or use a ridesharing service like Uber or Lyft.
- Even if you’re sober, others on the road may not be. Always buckle up and drive with care. If you see a drunk driver, call 911 to report them.
- Law enforcement are on high alert for drunk and drugged drivers this month, so it’s best to keep yourself out of trouble and others safe.
- Victims injured by drunk drivers have the legal right to file personal injury claims and financial compensation for their damages, including their physical injuries, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and more.
At Santa Barbara Injury Law Group, we have worked with many clients hurt in car accidents and know how disastrous accidents can be for victims and their loved ones. That’s why we encourage everyone to drive safely this month, and why we offer our support and experienced help to anyone who has questions about their rights after an accident.
Contact our Santa Barbara car accident lawyers today to discuss your case during a FREE consultation!