California Professional License Defense Lawyer
Facing disciplinary action? Let us protect your professional license!
If you hold a professional license and are facing disciplinary action, working with an experienced administrative law attorney is crucial to protecting your rights and career. At Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP, our legal team is prepared to provide proven license defense to a wide range of professionals throughout California, including:
Experienced Professional License Defense Attorneys
Individuals with professional licenses may face disciplinary action for the following reasons:
- Consumer Complaint - Disciplinary action can come from a consumer complaint made to a California administrative licensing agency, board, bureau or department, or due to a criminal conviction.
- Criminal Conviction - Being charged or convicted of a crime, depending on the nature of the offense, can place your professional license at stake.
Disciplinary matters are heard before an Administrative Law Judge employed by the California Office of Administrative Hearings. Disciplinary charges are contained in a document called an Accusation. The various Boards are often represented by Deputy Attorney Generals from the California Attorney General's Office, but sometimes by their own staff attorneys as well. At the Hearing, both sides can cross examine witnesses and present evidence. In many cases, it is possible to reach an agreement, called a Stipulated Agreement, with the Board prior to the Hearing to keep a client's professional license.
We can assist a wide range of medical and non-medical professionals, including:
Our work has brought us before a many licensing boards across the state:
- Medical Board of California (MBC
- Osteopathic Medical Board of California (OMBC)
- Dental Board of California (DBC)
- California Board of Pharmacy (BOP)
- California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
- California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT)
- California Board of Chiropractic Examiners (BCE)
- California Acupuncture Board (CAB)