Los Angeles Mayhem Attorneys
Defending Our Clients’ Rights with Skilled Representation
While the crime of committing mayhem is somewhat similar to assault and battery, it carries harsher consequences. Unlike assault and battery cases, mayhem cases focus on the facts surrounding the nature of serious injuries inflicted on the victim. Crimes involving permanent injury, disfigurement, dismemberment, or disablement can be charged under California’s mayhem laws.
What Are the Elements of Mayhem?
According to California Penal Code Section 203, the crime of mayhem is defined as:
“Anybody who unlawfully and maliciously deprives another person of a member of their body, or disfigures, disables, renders it useless, or cuts or disables their tongue, puts out their eye, or slits their nose, ear, or lip, is guilty of the crime mayhem.”
Whether your actions were intentional and whether the alleged victim was left severely disabled is crucial in prosecuting this type of crime, though it is important to note that you can still be charged with mayhem if the injuries aren’t permanent.
Prosecutors must prove the following to convict you of mayhem:
- That you intentionally or “maliciously” committed the act
- That you removed a part of another person’s body
- That you disabled a part of another person’s body to a degree that is greater than a slight injury
- That you permanently disfigured another person
Why Choose Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP?
If you have been accused of committing mayhem, then you need to get in touch with an experienced violent crimes attorney to discuss your options and devise a strong legal strategy to protect your rights.
Clients throughout the greater Los Angeles area turn to our seasoned legal professionals because:
- We bring 50+ years of combined legal experience to each case we take on
- Our law firm is Available 24 hours, 7 days a week to handle your legal needs
- Our criminal defense attorneys have handled 1000's of cases, both inside and out of the courtroom
- We pride ourselves on delivering empathetic, powerful, skilled, aggressive, and cutting-edge legal representation
- Clients can count on our attorneys to think outside of the box and come up with unique and creative case solutions
“We are blessed to have you for our lawyer and will highly recommend you with your professional and educated advice!”
1,000's of Cases Handled In & Out of Court
50+ Years of Combined Legal Experience
No Recovery, No Fees for All Injury Cases
Strong & Attentive Counsel Available 24/7